The Salvation Army’s annual Adopt an Angel campaign is in its final week, with distribution to needy children and seniors scheduled for Dec. 16 through 18.
For those looking to make a difference in the community, the Vicksburg Chapter says it still has about 200 angels left to adopt.
This year, the number of people in need are nearly double that of last year, said Major Janna Torgerson of the Vicksburg Salvation Army. The organization has 734 individual angels this year, most of whom are from Warren and Claiborne counties.
“I have only been in Vicksburg for about six months. From the beginning, I have noticed and loved the community spirit that defines the people of Vicksburg and the surrounding counties,” Torgerson said in an email. “Everyone deserves a merry Christmas and The Salvation Army is here to facilitate that. I have faith that the Vicksburg County Community will step up and provide for the children and seniors who are in need.”
There are several ways to adopt an angel or provide toys for forgotten angels.
- Go to the Vicksburg Mall and adopt an angel from the tree (located between Dillard’s and the Food Court). If the tree is unmanned, you may still choose an angel from the tree but be sure to fill out the adoption paper on the table. The tree will be manned every day this week through Sunday.
- Adopt an angel online on the Salvation Army website. The link is also available on Facebook @salvationarmyvicksburg. Follow the instructions to choose your angel, fill in some basic information about yourself and adopt the angel.
- Adopt a Forgotten Angel from Walmart. There is a tree at Walmart on the General Merchandise side. Adopt a Forgotten Angel, buy the toys and drop them in the red snowflake box.
- Buy toys/clothes from Walmart online. Go to walmartangeltree.com and enter your ZIP code. This will take you to the Vicksburg Salvation Army registry for toys. Purchase from the registry and it will be shipped to The Salvation Army.
- Buy toys/clothes from Belk and put them in the red snowflake box.
There are a few places to drop off gifts for angels.
- Vicksburg Mall Angel Tree located near the food court and Dillard’s.
- The Vicksburg Salvation Army at 530 Mission 66.
- If you shop online, ship the gifts directly to:
Attn: Angel Tree
The Salvation Army
530 Mission 66
Vicksburg, MS 39182
If you would like to contribute directly to The Salvation Army army, please go to https://give.salvationarmyalm.org/vicksburgkettle. These funds stay in the Vicksburg area and go to services in the community throughout the year.See a typo? Report it here.