Story from Alcorn Athletics:
MONTGOMERY, AL – The Alcorn State Braves (2-3, 1-1) get the overtime victory over Alabama State (1-3, 0-2) by a score of 23-20 in another Southwestern Athletic Conference match-up on Saturday evening.
Score: Alcorn State 23 | Alabama State 20
Records: Braves (2-3, 1-1) | Alabama State (1-3, 0-2)
Date: Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023
Location: ASU Stadium | Montgomery, AL
Series: Alabama State 10-7
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Braves put up the first points with a 39-yard field goal by Noah Kiani to end the first quarter.
- Alabama State scored a touchdown with nine minutes to go in the second quarter to take a 7-3 lead.
- Akeem McNair scored on a 13-yard touchdown pass from Aaron Allen to regain the lead, 10-7.
- Alabama State would take the lead heading into halftime on a 10-yard touchdown run.
- Coming out of halftime, Monterio Hunt scored on a 54-yard pass from Aaron Allen as the Braves take a 17-13 lead.
- The Hornets block a field goal attempt by the Braves and return it for a score to take a 20-17 lead with nine minutes to go in the fourth quarter.
- Kiani connected on a 24-yard field goal to send the game to overtime.
- Kiani scored the game’s only points in overtime with a 30-yard field goal giving the Braves the 23-20 decision.
- Aaron Allen was 32-46 for 370 yards and two touchdown passes along with six carries for 36 yards.
- Jarveon Howard had five carries for 24 yards.
- Monterio Hunt had six receptions for 109 yards and a touchdown reception.
- Malik Rodgers had five catches for 87 yards.
- Akeem McNair finished the game with 22-yards on four catches and a score.
- Stemarion Edwards led the Braves with 13 tackles and one forced fumble.
- Terreance Ellis tallied eight tackles and one fumble recovery.
- Tyler Smith had two forced fumbles and a sack to go along with his two tackles.
- The Braves defense forced a total of four fumbles and recovered three.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTABLES
- Caleb Darbone had five punts for 217 yards with an average of 43.4 yards per punt with two inside the 20-yard line.
- Noah Kiani was 3-4 on field goals including the game deciding field goal in overtime from 30-yards out.
The Braves return to Lorman for Homecoming as they welcome the Tigers of Grambling State to Spinks-Casem Stadium on Saturday, October 7th. Kick-off set for 2:30 p.m.