Monday, U.S. Representative Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS) announced the winners of the 2021 Second Congressional “Artistic Discovery” Virtual Art Competition.
This year’s 1st Place winner is Ari Perkins of Ida B. Wells APAC located in Jackson, Mississippi. Perkins’ pointillism-inspired piece, “Waiting on Nothing and Everything”, was chosen from the the 74 pieces of artwork submitted from talented students at six area schools that participated in the competition.
“I would like to extend my congratulations to Ari and the Ida B. Wells APAC’s Art Program for placing #1 in this year’s competition,” Congressman Thompson said in a statement.
Perkins, along with one guest, may be eligible to receive round-trip accommodations to Washington D.C. where she will compete with the other Congressional Art Competition winners from across the country. Her work will also be on display for a year in the Cannon Tunnel.
The other winners are as follows:
- 2nd Place- “Sacrificial Lamb” by Khai Thompson of Ida B. Wells – Power APAC
- 3rd Place- “Black is King” by Lonagcio “LJ” Smith, II of Greenville High School
- “Innocence” by Phil Hendon of O’Bannon High School
- “Jungle Life” by Emma Hendricks of Water Valley High School
- “Toucan” by Anthony Loper of Water Valley High School
- “Closed Windows” by Dori Hines of Ida B. Wells APAC
- “Take a Breather” by Dori Hines of Ida B. Wells APAC