Connect with us
[the_ad_placement id="manual-placement"] [the_ad_placement id="obituaries"]

Vicksburg History

From the Archives: Tillman Building



Tillman Building
(Credit: Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation.)

In 1898, the three-story building that stood on the northeast corner of Washington and Clay streets was completely rebuilt with plans drawn by architect William Stanton, resulting in this beautiful Romanesque Revival commercial building. It appears that the first Tillman Building on the lot was in use as early as 1865 and was a rather plain three-story brick building. An article in the Vicksburg Post reported in June of 1898 that the old building would be “replaced by a handsome structure. The upper floors will be torn down and replaced with a fine ornamental front and divided into well-equipped offices.”

“Fancy brick, and brick of a grayish color, continue to arrive, which will be used in remodeling the Tillman building. Some of the bricks are slightly curved, and they will be used in making the arches, etc. These bricks are made by hydraulic pressure, are quite heavy, and each brick is numbered to facilitate the work of the architect, as each brick is intended for a certain place. The contract was given to Mr. J. D. Tanner, and the work will no doubt be well done, as is the reputation of Mr. Tanner’s work.”

In April of 1899, the work was completed, and Dr. A. G. Tillman, who had received his degree in dentistry from the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery in 1892, moved his office into the new quarters. He relocated from across the street over Cassell’s Drug Store. Also occupying the building were Andy F. Garvey, a clothier and gents’ furnisher, State Trust Company, William Pollock, Vicksburg Art Studio, and A. L. Blanks, a photographer.

By 1911, Dundee Woolen Mills had replaced Garvey, and Dr. H. H. Haralson had joined the dentists on the second floor. The art studio was now owned by H. J. Ewing. By 1918, Tillman’s son had joined the dental practice. In 1924, E. Jabour and Sons Dry Goods occupied the first floor and continued to do so until the early 1960s. In the late ’60s, the building was demolished, and the current building was erected, becoming First Federal Savings and Loan.

Nancy Bell, Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation.

See a typo? Report it here.
Continue Reading