The Fall 2021 group of honorees in the Hinds Heroes employee recognition program at Hinds Community College have been named.
Hinds Heroes are chosen because they represent the college well, provide exceptional customer service to all its customers and consistently promote the Hinds mission of service. Heroes selected receive a lapel pin, a token of appreciation and one free day off work.
In alphabetical order, this semester’s honorees from the nominations are as follows:
- Shane Brown, of Flowood, adult recruiter and community outreach at the Jackson Campus-Academic/Technical Center. He has been with Hinds for 17 years. His duties include recruiting adult students through hosting events, information booths, literature distribution and responding to calls and emails from students.
- Rosie McElroy-Brown, of Jackson, student services coordinator in the Career and Technical Education department at the Raymond Campus. She has been with Hinds for six years. Her duties include being a resource for faculty and students, advising and counseling students and career planning, graduation and goal attainment.
- Ronny Bunch, of Vicksburg, lead technician in the maintenance department at the Vicksburg-Warren Campus. He has been with Hinds for 39 years. His duties include upkeep of campus maintenance operations.
- Tamisha Johnson, of Brandon, assistant director of technology based at the Raymond Campus. She has been with Hinds for 10 years. Her duties include overseeing user and system services in the Information Technology Department, user support and enterprise application support for the college.
- Debbie McCollum, of Madison, Honors Institute Dean, based at the Raymond Campus. She has been with Hinds for 41 years. Her duties include oversight of honors programs at the Raymond and Rankin campuses, advising all Phi Theta Kappa honor society chapters at Hinds, coordinating awards and recognition programs, coordinating student visa and study abroad programs for honors students and liaison for the honors curriculum.
- Sandra Mozingo, of Raleigh, budget analyst in the career and technical education department at the Rankin Campus. She has been with Hinds for 12 years. Her duties include analyzing budget efficiently make recommendations for new budget strategies, monitoring disbursement payments for the CT Building and programs housed within it, multiple duties involving ensuring the optimal working environment for faculty, staff and students at the CT Building.
- Lillie Pollard, of Edwards, administrative assistant to the academic dean at the Raymond Campus. She has been with Hinds for five years. Her duties involve assisting the academic dean in every area needed.
- Jennifer Rodgers, of Raymond, director of student success center at the Raymond Campus. She has been with Hinds for 10 years. Her duties include oversight of college SSC programs and the braiding of those program services to support student success, analyzing student success data and identifying achievement initiatives.
- Tammy Helton Smith, of Florence, director of the Clyde Muse Center at the Rankin Campus. She has been with Hinds for 26 years. Her duties include oversight of the center, which involve external and internal marketing and rental of the facility, scheduling and logistics for conferences and workshops held there, working with communities and chambers of commerce for all events at the facility.
- Cassandra Varnell, of Richland, instructor and coordinator in the student success center at the Rankin Campus. She has been with Hinds for eight years. Her duties include instructing face-to-face and online classes and daily operations of the student success centers.
- Melissa Washburn, of Raymond, administrative assistant in the Agriculture and Veterinary Technology programs based at the Raymond Campus. She has been with Hinds for 14 years. Her duties include registration for all agriculture, veterinary technology and meat merchandising students, maintain budgets and purchasing, assisting in student tours, workshops and recruiting events for the departments.
- Pamela F. Williams, of Utica, director of talent search/TRIO at the Utica Campus. She has been with Hinds for 20 years. Her duties include overseeing a federally funded budget designed to assist middle and high school students in their pre-secondary schooling, graduating and enrolling in college or career-tech training schools after high school graduation.