The Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office and the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office warns the business community of deceptive letters requesting a $90.50 fee to order certain business documents from the Secretary of State’s Office.
The Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office received numerous reports of a company using the fictitious name, MS Certificate Service, soliciting misleading “2020 Certificate of Existence Request Forms” to businesses throughout Mississippi. This solicitation is not sent or authorized by the Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office.
Registered businesses in Mississippi do not have to respond or send payment to the third party, MS Certificate Service.
- Require a fee.
- Cite specific Mississippi statutes.
- Contain a due date for your response.
- Appear similar to a government form.
- Contain a “Customer ID Number” that does not match a number given to you by a State or Federal Agency.
- Contain a warning to make sure that the form’s instructions are followed exactly when completing the form.
- Contain your business entity’s actual business ID number and date of formation, as reflected in the Secretary of State’s business records.
Businesses can report deceptive or misleading solicitations to the Secretary of State’s Office or the Attorney General’s Office. The Mississippi Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Hotline is 1-800-281-4418.
For more information, call the Secretary of State’s Business Services Division at (601) 359-1633 or 1-800-256-3494 or visit https://www.sos.ms.gov/BusinessServices/Pages/default.aspx.