Connect with us
[the_ad_placement id="manual-placement"] [the_ad_placement id="obituaries"]


PCA headed to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in 14 years



Porter's Chapel Academy football team: Photo by Keith Phillips

Porter’s Chapel Academy football team is headed to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in 14 years after defeating Ben’s Ford Christian 36-30 on Friday.

“I’m excited about how well we played and we stuck it out and ended up coming out on top,” Jase Jung said.

PCA defeats Ben’s Ford

The first quarter remained tied at 8-8 with both teams moving the ball effectively as Jase Jung scored a 20-yard touchdown for PCA. BFC made their way down into the Eagles territory but was short lived as Jung grabbed an interception.

Just a couple of minutes into the second quarter, Jung hit John Wyatt Massey for a 25 yard touchdown as PCA went up 16-8. BFC would quickly respond with a 17-yard touchdown but a failed two-point conversion would help the Eagles stay ahead 16-14.

On the following drive, Massey hit Ty Mack for a 34 yard pass and Jung would run it in for a five yard score on the next play as PCA went up 22-14 with 3:39 left in the half.

As BFC took possession of the ball, Jung pulled off another big play by catching his second interception of the night with 1:39 left before halftime.

Coming out of halftime, PCA had trouble moving the ball and BFC was able to strike first with a touchdown and two-point conversion to tie the game at 22-22 with 3:42 left in the quarter.

A recovered onside kick would give BFC the ball back as they found their way into PCA territory again late in the third quarter. BFC would eventually get the score and a two-point conversion to take the 30-22 lead.

The Eagles didn’t let that discourage them as they drove the ball down the field on their next possession and eventually scored on a short run by Jung. A failed two-point conversion would leave PCA trailing 30-28 with 7:38 left to play.

The Eagles’ defense stepped up big late in the fourth quarter as BFC committed multiple penalties as they were forced to punt. Shortly after PCA earned possession of the ball, Mack broke out for over 20 yards with a little under five minutes left to play.

The Eagles found themselves in a fourth down situation when Massey hit Thomas Azlin for a big first down. Mack would take it in for a short touchdown run to give PCA a 36-30 lead after a successful two-point conversion.

PCA headed to second round

Daniel Llopis would boot the kickoff for a touchback that forced BFC attempt to drive the ball a long way down the field.

Maureon Sims made a big stop on defense for PCA and a few plays later the time would expire with the Eagles heading to the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

See a typo? Report it here.
Continue Reading