Story from Alcorn Athletics:
LORMAN, Miss. – The Alcorn State Braves (3-3, 2-1) defeated Grambling State (3-3, 2-1) by a score of 25-24 for the annual homecoming celebration inside Spinks-Casem Stadium on Saturday evening.
Score: Alcorn State 25 | Grambling State 24
Records: Braves (3-3, 2-1) | Grambling State (3-3, 2-1)
Date: Saturday, October 7, 2023. 30, 2023
Location: Spinks-Casem Stadium | Lorman, MS
Series: Grambling State 8-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tigers open the scoring with a fumble recovery for a touchdown.
- Tavarious Griffin scored on a 15-yard pass from Aaron Allen to tie the score at 7.
- Santonial Rice scored on and interception return giving the Braves a 13-7 lead after the missed extra point.
- Grambling would regain the lead on a 2-yard touchdown carry.
- The Tigers score again on a 13-yard pass to take a 21-13 lead early in the third.
- Anthony Williams Jr. caught a 20-yard touchdown pass from Allen making the score 21-19.
- Grambling connected on a 27-yard field goal making the new score 24-19.
- Griffin scored the game deciding touchdown on a 15-yard pass from Allen.
- Aaron Allen was 21-32 for 253 yards and three touchdown passes along with 15 carries for 47 yards.
- Jarveon Howard had 11 carries for 48 yards.
- Tavarious Griffin had six receptions for 48 yards and two touchdown receptions.
- Malik Rodgers had three catches for 80 yards.
- Anthony Williams Jr. finished with two catches for 18-yards and a score.
- Edwin Summerour led the Braves with seven tackles and one interception.
- Terreance Ellis tallied six tackles and one sack.
- The Braves defensive unit tallied eight sacks and three interceptions.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTABLES
- Caleb Darbone had three punts for 113 yards with an average of 37.7 yards per punt.
The Braves have a bye week and then it’s off to Pine Bluff, Arkansas for another conference match-up against UAPB on Saturday, October 21st. Kick-off set for 2:00 p.m.