Story from ASU Athletics:
LORMAN, Miss. – The Alcorn State Braves (6-3, 5-1) defeated Southern University (5-4, 4-2) by a score of 44-21 inside Spinks-Casem Stadium on Saturday evening.
Score: Alcorn State 44 | Southern 21
Records: Braves (6-3, 5-1) | Jaguars (5-4, 4-2)
Date: Saturday, November 4, 2023
Location: Spinks-Casem Stadium | Lorman, MS
Series: Braves 41-29-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern scored a 1-yard run to open the game.
- Noah Kiani made a 34-yard field goal making the score 7-3.
- Monterio Hunt caught a 35-yard pass from Aaron Allen giving the Braves a 10-7 lead.
- Keenan Leachman scored on a 27-yard fumble recovery to make the score 17-7.
- Malik Rodgers 8-yard touchdown pass from Aaron Allen making the new score 24-7.
- Tavarious Griffin 52-yard touchdown pass from Aaron Allen opening the lead to 31-7.
- Jaguars score on a touchdown pass to reduce their deficit to 31-14.
- Noah Kiani added a 19-yard field goal making the new score 34-14.
- The Jaguars find the endzone again through the air to make the score 41-14.
- Noah Kiani made a 37-yard field goal midway through the fourth quarter which was the final points of the game.
- Aaron Allen was 19-30 for 263 yards with three passing touchdowns along with four carries for 13 yards.
- Jarveon Howard had 18 carries for 132 yards.
- Tyler Macon finished with 30 yards on five carries.
- Tavarious Griffin had three catches for 79 yards and a touchdown reception.
- Monterio Hunt finished with four catches for 59 yards and a score.
- Malachi Bailey led the Braves with six tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss including 2.5 sacks.
- Keenan Leachman had a huge game for the Braves with three tackles, two interceptions with one being returned for a score along with a forced fumble and fumble return for a touchdown.
- The Braves defensive unit tallied five sacks and three interceptions.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTABLES
- Noah Kiani was 3-3 on field goals with a long of 37-yards.
The Braves travel to Houston, Texas to face Texas Southern on Sunday, Nov 12th. Kickoff set to be at 2:00 p.m.